News & Media
PDPW Youth Leadership Derby Develops the Next Generation
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Shelly Mayer
Full Media Package is available (i.e. flyer, press release, photos, etc.)
Review Flyer: Event Flyer
Review Press Release: Event Press Release
Photos/Logos: Event Photos/Logos
Parent Waiver: Event Student Waiver
DAIRY NEWS – The Professional Dairy Producers® (PDPW) announce the 2017 PDPW Youth Leadership Derby® for teens ages 15-18. The two-day event is April 22-23, 2017, with registration at 10:00 a.m. and pick up on day two at 12:15 p.m., from Colby High School.
As dairy’s premier youth educational event, both farm and non-farm teens will connect with progressive dairy farmers, veterinarians and industry professionals in a two-day, hands-on career-focused environment.
This event provides on-farm tours, veterinarian labs, breakout sessions and keynote speakers. Line-up includes:
- JTP Farms, Tom and Jake Peissig, a family owned farm, which utilizes robotic milkers for its 285-cow herd and prides itself on cow comfort.
- Heeg Brothers Dairy, LLC will showcase calf labs, led by skilled veterinarians to explore calf health.
- Marieke Gouda Cheese - Penterman Farm in Thorp, Wis., will explore the dairy farm and cheese-making expertise of Marieke and Rolf Penterman.
- Bryant Gill, Assistant Farm Report Director for the Wisconsin Farm Report will explain how he is putting his livestock and agriculture experiences to use each day in farm broadcasting.
- Tasha Schuh, holds a degree in communications studies and theology and is paralyzed from the chest down. She will share her humorous and heartfelt story of inspiration and improving dreams and goals.
- Kim Bremmer, nationally recognized motivational agriculture speaker and founder of Ag Inspirations, will discuss the science and history of GMOs, their role in agriculture, what the future holds and the keys to answering tough consumer questions.
Along with exploring agricultural careers, touring dairies, working alongside veterinarians, and listening to some of the industry’s best, participants will have the opportunity to network with youth sharing their goals and passion for dairy.
Registration is due April 14, 2017 and can be completed online, via mail or by phone. This unique overnight event is limited to the first 100 students and requires a signed waiver from each student. To learn more about the PDPW Youth Leadership Derby and to register, visit www.pdpw.org or contact PDPW at 1-800-947-7379.
Professional Dairy Producers (PDPW) is the nation's largest dairy producer-led organization of its kind, focusing on producer professionalism, stakeholder engagement and unified outreach to share ideas, solutions, resources and experiences that help dairy producers succeed."